Catalan art from the early 20th century
On August 28, 1927, during the dictatorship of Primo de Rivera,the mayor of Malgrat de Mar, Mr Lluís de Caralt i Fors, officiated the opening ceremony of the new schools, attended by the main provincial authorities. It was the first publicly owned building designed for schooling purposes. In 1928, what used to be one-room schools became graded: thenceforth Malgrat de Mar had three sections for boys and three for girls. In 1935, a new section for boys was added.
During the Civil War(1936-1939) the building suffered the effects of bombing and was used as barracks for troops. During the post-war period, a commission in charge of teaching renewal (basically of staff purge) transferred teachers according to their activities and position during the war. After years of transition, some teachers joined the school. Their long periods of stay made them mark an era. Year after year the school activity was getting back to normal. In 1964 boys’ and girls’ schools joined up to form the Nuestra Señora de Montserrat Mixed School Association. Population growth in the sixties led to the expansion with four more classrooms for the academic year 1969-1970, and on August 16, 1970, to the opening of the Public Library on the second floor of the main building, where it remained until 2000 when the library was moved to the present location in La Cooperativa (Desclapers street).
In 1986, an unfortunate incident occurred after a cornice of the roof fell. Then the students were transferred to other schools. Since then, the history of the building has been marked by continuous renovation and refurbishing: from the restoration of the facade to the refurbishment of the Teachers’ Houses to use them as municipal offices in 1998. Those modelling processes and changes in the uses of the buildings led to a modification of the distribution of classrooms and spaces to adapt them to the new reality and new educational needs of the 21st century.
The building, designed by the architect Mr Juli M. Fossas, is an interesting ensemble built in a Catalan style from the early 20th century, Noucentisme. The school has three sections: a central block (two floors) and two side blocks (ground floor only), where boys’ and girls’ classrooms used to be, respectively, each with their own playgrounds. The façade features decorative elements such as ceramics, artificial stone and sgraffito. The Teachers’ Houses, which have their main facade on Ramon Turró street, have one floor on the main block and two on the side ones.