A beach with history
Right at the heart of the hotel area, you will find Astillero Beach, which features a good touristic and leisure atmosphere, surrounded by beach bars, picnic areas and a wide choice of activities to spend a great day with the family at the beach. This beach was awarded the Blue Flag distinction.
Services and facilities
- Entry and exit channel for boats in front of Avinguda Països Catalans.
- Sports areas are located near the creek at the end of Avinguda Països Catalans.
- Umbrella and beach chair rental services. Get relaxed and comfortable!
- 3 WCs: find 2 of them in licensed taverns and 1 adapted toilet for people with disability next to the first-aid station.
- Showers and a beach wheelchair for people with reduced mobility (this service operates while the lifeguard service is active) and walkways to facilitate the access to the sea.
- You can practice recreational fishing with rod, but during the bathing season (May 15 – September 15), from 7 pm to 8 am only. Please collect any objects and pieces that could harm other users of the beach.
- Pets are not allowed on the beach from April 1 to October 31, except for assistance dogs.
- Local Police provides surveillance service at the beaches in Malgrat. Police officers ride bicycles to act quickly in case of emergency. This service is provided from June to September and reinforced throughout the day in peak times.
- Topless is permitted and acceptable. For more information about nudist beaches, please check the info on Punta de la Tordera Beach.
- Length: 1,064 m
- Width: 20-70 m
- Type of beach: open
- Type of sand: coarse sediment
- Occupancy rate: high
- Microbiological quality of bathing water: excellent
- Quality appearance of water: good
Water temperature (Average in °C)
- June: 20 °C
- July: 24 °C
- August: 25 °C
- September: 23 °C
Malgrat de Mar offers a play centre service on the beach, the Miniclub, that you and your family can enjoy.
All children from 4 to 12 may enter the premises of the Miniclub Monday to Sunday from 11 am to 1 pm and from 4 pm to 6 pm. Join the foam party every Friday morning.
If you are staying in Malgrat de Mar, your children will be given a bracelet at the reception of your accommodation site, that will allow them to enter the Miniclub for free.
All children must be accompanied by their parents on the grounds.
At Astillero Beach, there is also a floating water park. This service is provided by Aunar. Ask for more information on the beach.
Check out other activities on the Agenda.
By train: Facing the town and 300 m to the right from where the beach begins, you will find the train station. From Malgrat de Mar you can reach Barcelona and its metropolitan area and/or else Girona and the French border. Trains run every 30 minutes to both directions. Click for timetables, stops and connections.
By bus: Several bus lines connect Malgrat de Mar with other cities and towns of Maresme and La Selva, as well as the cities and airports of Barcelona and Girona. These buses stop at Avinguda Costa Brava in Malgrat de Mar. Check timetables, routes and fares here.
Another bus connects Malgrat de Mar and the neighbouring towns of Santa Susanna and Palafolls. Check timetables, routes and fares here.
To move around Malgrat de Mar in summer, another bus runs every 20 minutes and connects the hotel area and Astillero Beach to the town centre.
By car: You can get to Astillero Beach from:
- AP-7 (exit 9 from France and exit 10 from Barcelona)
- C-32 (exit 132 at Malgrat de Mar)
- N-II (exit BV-6001). Follow Avinguda Països Catalans towards Passeig Marítim.
There is parking space in Avinguda Verge de Montserrat. These spaces are free and not under surveillance.
Right next to the first-aid station there is a 1.50 m wide concrete walkway that provides easier access to the water for people with reduced mobility with the assistance, if they wish, of the lifeguards and of a beach wheelchair designed with special materials.
Just next to the walkway, there is also an adapted shower and an umbrella attached to the floor with a reserved space. In addition, you will find an adapted changing room and also two reserved parking spaces.
Lifeguards and rescue service
The lifeguard service operates every day from June 15 to September 15.
The service works from 10 am to 6 pm.
The first-aid station is located between Carrer Manuel de Falla and Avinguda Països Catalans.
Beach cleaning machines operate all year round at dawn. Manual cleaning is also performed daily during the summer season.
In summer the bins are emptied several times a day. Please, help to keep the beach area litter free. We all want to enjoy it!
Should you find the bins full, please place the garbage next to them, so it is not spread around. Use the recycling bins provided and do your part to keep this natural and leisure space clean.
Tips for a day at the beach
- Your accommodation site will provide you with a bracelet for the safety of children. We recommend you to put it on them so in case they get lost, it will be easier to help them find you.
- Tell your children to look for a policeman or a lifeguard in the event of getting lost. They will help them meet you. However, do not lose sight of them.
- In summer, drink plenty of water or juice every 20 minutes to prevent dehydration.
At the beach
- Follow the flags and signs and heed the warnings of policemen and lifeguards.
- Do not eat too much if you want to have a bath. You could suffer hydrocution.
- Swim near the shore, do no go beyond the limits of the bathing area and avoid swimming alone.
- Do not sunbathe for too long, use a hat or a cap and sunglasses and put a t-shirt on if you are going to play in the sun for a long while.
- Use sunscreen lotion, even on cloudy days, preferably of a high SPF (Sun Protection Factor) and be sure it is waterproof. Apply it again every two hours.