Malgrat de Mar
was “Officially” born as Vilanova de Palafolls in 1373, awarded town status by Guillem de Palafolls, the lord of the castle currently under restoration and bearing his name, in order to promote its development. However, both the name of Malgrat and its population have older origins than this, although experts have been found in the area,dating back to 200 B.C., which indicate considerable craft activity was taking place within our town.
Traditionally, Malgrat has been predominantly an agricultural town with considerable maritime commercial pursuits and, since the 19th. Century, an important industrial centre. Although part of province of Barcelona, its history is much more closely linked to Girona.
The tourist activities started in Malgrat around 1960. We have a long tradition on tourism just as commercial and restaurants with a nice progress until now that the village has been certificated as Family Tourism Destination.
Tourism Information Office
: Plaça de l’Àncora, s/n 08380 Malgrat de Mar.
location in google maps
Telephone 93 765 56 42 Fax 93 765 55 98
Open from Holy Week untill the end of october